Thursday, February 14, 2008

At some point in life, most every girl dreams of her perfect valentine...maybe it is a box of rich chocolates, a card full of "I love you’s and affirmation," or maybe it is being happily married to a man rich in character and in love.

Being a incurable romantic since the time I was five, I can tell you that I too have dreamed. And what beautiful dreams they have been! Yet, while I haven’t always gotten what I asked God for, I have to admit that I’ve gotten so much more than I imagined possible.

Let me tell you about my perfect Valentine...my prayers, and the love that has come true!

  • I prayed for a man committed to God. Jesus smiled, "I and my Father are one." (John 10:30)

  • I prayed for a man that would be a spiritual leader. Jesus unashamedly declared, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

  • I prayed for a man of high standards and integrity. Others testified, "He did no sin, neither was guile found in His mouth." (I Pet 2:22)

  • I prayed for a man responsible, and a man of the Word. Jesus opened up His arms with love as He whispered, "How can you not believe in me, for I am the living word, and I came to live with you." (John 1:14)

  • I prayed for a man that knew how to be a servant. Then I heard others whisper with amazement, "But [Jesus] made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men." (Phil 2:7)

  • I prayed for a man that was growing, and alive spiritually. He smiled again, "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." (John 10:10)

  • I prayed for a man of faith and prayer. Then I realized it is because of Him, that we call His house, the house of prayer. However, not only was He a man of prayer, but He was a man of faith, living each day according to the will of His father. (Jn 8:2) And he lived his faith in practical every day life. (Another prayer of mine!) He not only fed the five thousand long ago, He also feeds me today! (Mark 6:41, Phil 4:19)

  • I prayed for a man that would be the head of the home and a leader. Someone I could look up to and respect intellectually and spiritually. I was gently rebuked as I realized, not only had Jesus been knocking on my door begging to be allowed to be the head of my home, but he was so far ahead of me intellectually, I would have all eternity to learn to see as he saw and to think as he thought. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isa 55:9)

  • I prayed for a man of steel and velvet...someone that could be strong but also tender at the same time. Then I remembered Jesus’s words as the nails were driven into his hands, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34) And how, when dying upon the cross, some of his last thoughts were to make sure his mother would be cared for. (John 19:26) I also remembered how that when even a little sparrow fell, he noticed and cared. (Matt 10:29)

  • I prayed for a man that knew how to love others...even the unpleasant outcasts. Jesus replied, "In that while you were all yet sinners [the lowest outcast], I died for you." (Rom 5:8)

  • I prayed for someone that I could share my deepest thoughts and dreams with, someone who would walk with me through joys and through sorrows. Someone that would not only hold my hand, but would hold my heart. Someone that I could stand behind, love, respect and serve with all my heart. Someone that would help me walk closer to God. I looked up in awe as He not only began to walk beside me and hold my hand (Isa 41), but also to share with me hidden riches and secrets...heart companionship and beauty that I had never had with another. (Isa 45:3, Ps 34:8) He was someone that I could not only love, but stand behind and serve for the rest of my life! And the more I got to know Him, the closer I came to knowing God. (Ps 23 & Matt 6:33)

  • "I know this may be frivolous God and it's a small thing, but could you also send me someone romantic," I had prayed. Someone that will love me so much, that he'll want me and only me! That he'll be willing to do whatever it takes to win me. And once he's won my heart, nothing will be able to break that bond or separate us . Jesus said nothing as He lay down His heavenly honor to come to earth to win me. Although I fought His love and rebelled against His advances at first, He slowly, sweetly, tenderly won my heart and love. Then He led me to His great banqueting house, and the banner He put over me was LOVE. (Song of Sol 2:4) And as He looked deep into my heart, I knew that nothing would separate us...not tribulation, not distress, not persecution, not famine, or peril or sword. (Rom 8:35-39 ) I was speechless...why had I not realized that the inventor of romance would know how to be romantic...and not only romantic, but He would know how to keep my heart forever!

  • Last, but not least, I prayed for a man that would not be afraid of pain or trials. Then it was that I realized it was He, Jesus, that was carrying my cross and making the ultimate sacrifice of love...for not just anyone, but for me! (Matt 16:24 & Heb 2:9) Tears rolled down my cheeks as I stood in awe. And my heart melted...

No, Jesus is not just any man...He is all this and sooooo much more. My Judge, my Lord, my Savior, my Creator, and my Redeemer! Truly He is my all in all...the true love I still have yet to really understand and know!

And yet, just as He made every young girl, He also made me....with dreams, and with a heart that longs to love. A heart that longs for human companionship and partnership. I don’t believe these desires are wrong...they were placed in our hearts for a reason. And someday, if He sees best, I know He will bring these prayers and dreams to reality in human form. But if He doesn’t...I will still be content, for I have come to learn that truly, Jesus Christ is my ultimate bridegroom...and He does fulfill the desires of my heart more than any earthly love ever could or ever will!!

"For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. " Isa 54:5

"According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame BEFORE HIM IN LOVE." Eph 1:4

So you see, while a human heart or human hands may not be holding mine, I’ve found my perfect Valentine, and I am happy! In fact, I wouldn't trade Him for the world...

Though God’s way isn't always my way, His way truly is perfect... II Sam 22:31

2 comments:

Staci said...

Your list is beautiful. It is true. Jesus is the perfect valentine. Thanks for the invite to come over here and read this. Blessings to you!

MissionSK said...

Hope God will bless you with a human perfect valentine!